A few weeks ago I launched a personal project – The Book Blog. I love reading and I love books, so it’s no surprise that I’ve developed a little hobby of collecting books from fine presses and other specialty publishers. My passion for books has led me to quite a few publishers who produce books that are works of art, and I have a high regard for the craftsmen who make this possible. So I’ve built the site with the following intentions:
1. To showcase well-designed, high-quality books with the hope that I’ll be raising the awareness of the fine art of book-making and leading people to discover and enjoy books and authors that they might have otherwise not been aware of.
2. Many publishers simply don’t have pictures, or sufficient pictures, of their books on their own sites, so when potential collectors want to know more about a book, they don’t have much more than the description to go by. I think if more people saw just how beautiful these books are, it can help with the purchase decision. So for every book I feature, I also take pictures in a studio with proper lighting.
There’s also a News section on the site that will serve up news from various fine press publishers.
So far I’ve covered the following books:
- The Wind in the Willows by The Folio Society
- Gardens of the Moon by Subterranean Press
- The Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm by The Folio Society
- The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Hand and Eye Editions
I have lots more that I’ll continue to shoot and review, so keep an eye out.